Sunday, February 10, 2013
Valentine Baby
Last year I observed Valentine's Day with a wonderful tribute to my awesome nieces and nephews. I am happier now that I am a great aunt again, this time to Brooke Elizabeth, who appeared on the scene this October. I was thinking about some of the commonalities in my extended family. One, we love each other. Two, we have amazing children (and grandchildren.) Three, we are decent human beings, pay our taxes and go to church. But, as I gave those thoughts a Valentines' Day twist, I thought about the insane, crazy love we have for our dogs. They truly are family too. Now that Kate and Molly are semi-gone, Winston fills a large part of my life. He is truly a "people person" to those he cares about. If he doesn't like you, you're not getting within fifty feet of us. He's no pushover. He loves to be with David and me, and would love to be our lap dog if we didn't have new furniture. He keeps our feet warm at night and our hearts warm all the time. Recently, as Maggie (our 13 year old border collie) has begun to age, he has become her special companion-guiding her through the yard and reminding her that it is time to come in. He even lets her get on the bed at night. It was a lucky day when he chose us as his people! I don't know that I will ever rescue another dog. I think as I get older, I may have to have a dog tailor-made for me. Smaller, no-shed, friendlier, something suitable for our "golden years"....you get the drift. I will always be grateful for the many gifts Win brings to me. It was my lucky day when I rescued him. So, this Valentines' Day, kiss your spouse, hug your kids, and give your dog an extra walk. And, if you're looking for a fur-ever friend, think about rescuing a dog. The shelters and their residents would love you forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great to see you blogging again.......welcome back. And, I totally agree with ALL of the above.
ReplyDeleteHugs...